Friday, May 20, 2011

Toads

Sophie loves animals, bugs, snakes, toads and basically anything that moves.  We were on day 4 of success of no underpant accidents today when I discovered that indeed she did pee herself today.  Here's how it went:

Sophie is playing in the great climbing tree at the bus stop with Erin, Paul, Kate and Liam.
Me: Sophie, did you have any accidents today?
Sophie: {mumbles something I can't hear}
Me: Was that a yes?
Sophie: No, I didn't.
Me: Yay!! Good job.
{she goes for a high five I was not expecting and basically slaps me}
Me: Ow!
Erin: What happened? {Erin is sitting in the tree in a spot below Sophie. She's in 4th grade.}
I explain what happened.
Erin:  Ummm...It looks like she has a wet spot.
I look up. Yup. She was lying.
Paul: Is that why she has to sit at the front of the bus?
A conversation ensues, where I found that the safety guards (Erin and Paul are safety guards) are afraid of Sophie and think she's mean! She also called a boy, Tony, who told her he loved her last fall, that he was a jackass. Apparently, she told him over and over again. I'll admit she got that word from me. It's one of my favorite phrases, though I try not to use it around the kiddos.

We play for a few minutes then come home and play at home. Sophie and Liam are toad hunting in my vegetable garden, with good success when I discover that Sophie is burying the poor toads alive.What alerts me to this is that she is saying something about "when they die". I don't think she was trying to kill them. I think she was pretend burying them and just didn't get what could happen. It still frustrated me.

I promptly rescued the poor toad struggling under the soil and freed both of the toads she was holding hostage. Liam and I had already hidden his toad so that it could be free without Sophie grabbing it. Sophie is currently suspended from my garden for trying to kill the residents.

No comments: