Friday, July 18, 2008

Lights Out

We went to the Izmailovo Market yesterday and will probably go again tomorrow because we didn't bring enough money. Prices on souvenirs were much better than they are here on Arbat Street. I'm so glad my friend Marina told me about it! They had chess sets where the pieces were the Soviet Union versus the USA, which I thought was very funny!
















In the middle of my shower this morning, the lights went out. I could see well enough, but I unfortunately tried to brush my teeth with something that wasn't toothpaste! Strangely, it was only the lights that weren't working. The computer, fan and TV were all still fine.

Its raining now, so we'll probably be indoors ( I would hope so) with the kids this morning. We're getting picked up at 8:45 am to go the orphanage. It takes about an hour to get there.

Here's another interesting Russian phenomenon- privatized port-a-lets in the busy areas of Moscow. It will be about 3 or 4 port-a-lets per "entrepreneur". 15 rubles to use the "tooalet", and one of the port-a-lets is the entrepreneur's office! I have to take a picture of this.

Pete's found the Russian version of a English delicacy I don't particulary like- Jaffa Cakes. They're little sponge cakes with orange filling covered in dark chocolate. They have a lot of non-Russian food items here- Nestle, Fanta, Nescafe and loads more.
Gotta run...Vlad is here.

No comments: