Monday, July 14, 2008

Moscow Picture Show Part 1


Pete and I in front of the Moscow Historical Museum, Red Square


Beautiful onion domes at the Kremlin


St. Basil's Cathedral, Red Square- This is a beautiful building!

Our time to meet the kids has changed. We are not being picked up until 2:45pm now. We are going to Detsky Dom (literally Children's House) #2, which I believe is in the northwest part of Moscow.

So, here are some pictures from today. I don't have any software on this computer to photoshop images, so keep that in mind. It was very bright today, and there's no viewfinder on our camera, making it difficult to see my subjects sometimes!

There are 4 churches at the Kremlin, as well as the Patriarchal Palace, the Great Kremlin Palace, the Terem Palace, the Ivan the Great Bell Tower and a few other buildings. The building that stands out most like a sore thumb her is the State Kremlin Palace, which is a very modern looking building, and I think was built during the Soviet era.
Moscow Fashion
Many younger men here like to wear "elf" shoes. They appear to be a soft leather with a very elongated toe, that sometimes points up a bit. I had been told about these previously, and forgot about them until I was here. I'll try to take a picture of them. Pete has noticed a lot of young men have mullets...very nice! I don't think much else is different fashion wise. You don't see too many people wearing shorts, despite how zjarko (hot) it is!
Its 10:20 pm, so I'm going to curl up with a book and sign off.








4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Good shots, I love it! Do you remeber the elf thread we had over Christmas time and I said, hang a bulb from them! ahhahaaa get them elf shoes, you won't forgive yourself if you don't.

We have a date. I am sure you saw. I am sure to get elf shoes and the kickin boots the beautiful Russian woman wear. I missed out last time, but it looks like we will be there soon and then go back when it's -30 like the first time we were there!

Love and blessings,
Cheryl

www.russiansweetbaby.blogspot.com said...

Elf shoes and mullets! I'm going to have to ask my husband to "update" his look, then, so he will be in fashion there! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Jena I am so excited for you guys and can't wait to read the blog tomorrow!!
Jules

Tracy said...

Love the photos and can't wait to see your next update :)!